I bought this book to use in my Study Skills class. It is engaging for the students and contains lots of interesting activities. Great resource for students
To prepare for the academic demands postsecondary coursework, students must develop productive learning skills and strategies for the acquisition, retention, and demonstration of knowledge. If a student is deficient in any one of these areas, they will not experience academic success.
Many high school students simply do not have the academic skills and strategies they need in order to succeed at the postsecondary level.
This 28 chapter workbook is a "grown up" version of The Middle School Student's Guide to Study Skills, repurposed for the high school crowd. It includes practice activities, comics, and graphics. Students follow along with Ali, Jason, Elena, Max, and A.J., as they explore and master good study skills. Ideal for grades 9 - 10, Frosh Academy, study skills elective, or for independent learning.
The skills and strategies students learn in our program include:
- why studying matters to your brain
- How (and why) to be a metacognitive student
- IQ vs. effort
- Identifying personal learning styles
- Identifying and utilizing their primary intellige
- How (and why) to master the syllabus
- How (and why) to get their schema on
- Active learning strategies
- Active listening strategies
- Cornell and Matrix note-taking
- How (and why) to outline your textbook chapter
- M.N.E.M.O.N.I.C.S. for recall
- Time-spaced learning
- Test-taking strategies
- Overcoming test anxiety
- How to be an information literate student
- Anticipating and tackling the challenges of distance learning
- Dealing with failure
- Becoming a critical thinker and much more….
Susan Mulcaire is an attorney-turned-teacher. She holds a B.A. from U.C Berkeley, a J.D. from Santa Clara University School of Law, and a teaching credential from Concordia University. She is a member of the California State Bar Association and holds a California teaching credential. She is the author of several college readiness programs.
The 21st Century Student's Guide to Study Skills
after you enroll
Frequently Asked Questions
When does access start and finish?
This is access to the student e-workbook.
How long do I have access to the e-book?
After enrolling, you have unlimited access to this course for as long as you like - across any and all devices you own.
What if I am unhappy with the e-book?
If you are unsatisfied with your purchase, contact us in the first 10 days and we will give you a full refund.
This course is not open for enrollment.